Sunday, November 27, 2011

Murdering a defenseless ram

I speak in defense of the ram, which Abraham slaughtered instead of his son Isaac. I say “slaughtered” since I can’t see how, in any way, this act could have been considered a sacrifice.


The Binding of Isaac

QUOTE: According to the biblical story, Abraham sets out to obey God's command without questioning but does not state in front of Isaac that he is the intended sacrifice... After Isaac is bound to an altar, the angel of God stops Abraham at the last minute, saying "now I know you fear God." At this point Abraham sees a ram caught in some nearby bushes and sacrifices the ram in Isaac's stead. :UNQUOTE. [source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binding_of_Isaac ]

You should click the link (above) to the interesting Wikipedia article on this subject. Different points of view are expressed as to the meaning of this story, but nothing at all is said of the injustice of killing a defenseless animal (and, adding insult to injury, calling that a sacrifice).

Nobody speaks for that long-dead ram, but I will…here and now. Had I been present, perhaps hiding behind some burning bushes watching a hideous old man about to delusionally murder his son, I would have stepped forth (after what seemed to be an angel stopped Abraham but before Abraham murdered the ram), saying:

“Stop! Do not kill that ram. Did God demand that you kill such a defenseless creature? Perhaps He placed it there as a test of your mercy, a test you’re about to fail. For sacrifice is always of the self. By killing that ram, or even by having killed your son, how would that have been your sacrifice? You wish to please the Lord? Then behave yourself. No Lord could possibly ask more from his subjects than that.

“Whatever commanded you to sacrifice Isaac and stands in silence as you approach the ram to slaughter, is not the Lord God, Creator of the Universe.”


More on killing the animals

From the Bible (1 Samuel 15:3), we have this little gem which claims the Lord God commanded as follows:

“Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.”

Then of course there was the grosser example of the Great Flood, during which innocent animals were allowed to drown.

Again, whatever Force mandated these premature deaths was not the Lord God, Creator of the Universe.


Conclusion

I have a good friend who is a staunch supporter of animal rights but who also follows his Savior, shunning all churches. I myself eat meat, so I was not as sympathetic as he. But as I listened, I gained a bit of sympathy. My friend was quick to point out, the Bible has been corrupted and is not even remotely similar to the truth. At worst, it’s been infiltrated by devils. At best, it’s been rendered meaningless by “well-intended” propagandists. Which means, exactly what?

It means now what it’s always meant: “Not all of us receive visits from the Lord, nor could most of us be that sure, ‘that’s the Lord.’ Therefore? You’ve got to figure things out for yourself and act accordingly. And don’t be afraid to say, ‘I don’t know.’”

As for Abraham: when commanded by the Lord to sacrifice Isaac, he should have simply said, "I have free will, right? Okay, I hereby exercise my 'free will option' by telling You, I won't sacrifice Isaac." Abraham failed us all by not saying this, which is a failure that has echoed down through the ages and affects us to this very day.

Steven Searle for US President in 2012
Founder of The Independent Contractors’ Party

“Sacrifice is always of the self and is not commanded. Don’t let anyone tell you differently.”

Contact me at bpa_cinc@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment