Sunday, March 22, 2015

March Madness: Bread and Circuses

I've been watching the elite teams of college basketball on TV during my hospitalization of the last 32 days. I don't really follow sports at any level, but I do appreciate a beautifully executed play. Always did, even as a kid. And I can appreciate these plays all the more, since I don't really care who wins. Never did, even as a kid. As I watched these highly-motivated young men perform their ballet-like motions for us, I couldn't help but wonder: "Do they put as much drive and focus on their collegiate studies or do they do only an average job, saving their best efforts to train for and play this sport they love so much? And which many have been playing since they were eight-years old?"

For those many who don't make it to the NBA, I wonder what the future holds for them. When they look back on their lives - decades from now - will they conclude that their appearance (win or lose) in the Sweet Sixteen marked the high point in their lives?"

How many of them will take their bachelor's degrees in Communications and apply for a master's program that's more challenging? Or will they appear in an Enterprise Rent-A-Car commercial? I remember seeing one a few years ago that boasted of hiring a large number of former college athletic stars - of whom about 30 were featured in a group shot with sub-titles under their images. These titles gave their names and sports, and the year(s) they'd won a championship.

They all looked pretty happy, but maybe that's because it's better to have a job than not have one. They also looked pretty young, so I hope they don't become lifers at Enterprise. If they do, that's when bitterness starts to set in - the regrets that come from not motivating themselves to train for a better job. That bitterness intensifies when they ask themselves, "Why couldn't I have motivated myself to train for a better career with the same intensity with which I had trained as a student athlete?" Damn good question. Maybe a kick-ass life/career coach would have made a difference.

We are the New Roman Empire. Most of us have enough bread but circuses are needed to entertain We-the-People.  More and circuses that are bigger and grander than the ones that seemed adequate only a year ago. You know, so we don't get restless and start thinking about political issues. March Madness has been a smashing success for decades. This could be for a number of reasons:
  • Older Americans admiring the youthful enthusiasm of the student body in attendance;
  • Watching the trumpeters in the band sway from side-to-side as they play their college's fight songs;
  • Admiring the athleticism of the players, doing things our older bodies can no longer do;
  • Witnessing how much the players want to win - with some of them crying with abandon when they lose, with us thinking wistfully, "I used to care like that but I've become too cynical and resigned;"
  • Seeing an underdog team beat one much more highly rated.

I admit that I watch the Sweet Sixteen tournament. But I will never buy a ticket to see a live game. And I refuse to buy the products advertised on TV, from sponsors of these games. I think these kids are being mercilessly exploited, so I refuse to further that cause. Maybe, just maybe enough other people will come to feel and act as I do, and that this circus will fold its tent and disappear. Then maybe, just maybe these kids will crack those books and develop more than just their muscles and the particular skills native to their sport of choice.

And then maybe, just maybe we'll collectively abandon the circuses and start participating in politics.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Steven Searle, just another member of the
Virtual Samgha of the Lotus and
Former Candidate for US President (2008 & 2012)

Contact me at bpa_cinc@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment