Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Football: Interception in the End Zone

I have never posted anything dealing with sports. And that's been over a period of over eight years - and covers all of my 479 essays on this site. But there are a few things I want to get off my chest concerning American football.

The first concerns a rule change I'd like to see implemented: If a defending team's player intercepts a pass in their end zone but is tackled before he has a chance to advance the ball beyond the end zone, the current rules identify this as an example of a touchback. The intercepting team is then awarded the ball on its own 20-year line.

My view is this: Since the intercepting player has possession of the ball, the other team should be awarded two points as if this were a safety. And, just as in the safety scenario as it's currently defined, the intercepting team would then kick the ball from its own 20-yard line to the other team.

It always seemed strange to me that an end-zone interception would result in the ball being advanced to the 20-yard line of the interceptor and awarded to that team. After all, they obtained possession of the ball by means of this interception, therefore they control the ball at this point, so being tackled in the end-zone would seem to result more logically in two points (as in a safety) for the other side.

* * *

My next point concerns the recent announcement by San Francisco 49ers' linebacker Chris Borland that he is calling it quits. After his one and only season, in which he performed outstandingly, he decided the risk to his health due to future concussions was too great for him to remain in the game. So, at the age of 24, facing a loss of future stardom and tons of money, he decided enough was enough.

I salute this young man for resisting the pull of a culture that most would find hard to resist. At the same time,  I admit that I've been a football fan (though never a player on even a high school team) since I was a pre-teen. Yes, I know about the current scandal concerning concussions and I detest the NFL's attempt to put spin on the dangers. But I don't feel guilty about watching their games, which I do only on television. I justify my viewings by not buying any of the products advertised by sponsors. Simply put, I don't buy product.

I hope, though, that the NFL will engage in research to develop gear that can better protect players. The NFL is wealthy enough and there's enough at stake that they can afford to do this. They can even work with universities that have football programs and, ideally, sports medicine programs. Football is a fascinating sport and I'd hate to see fan support wither away over time due to player safety issues. Meanwhile, I'll watch but won't financially support this enterprise.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Steven Searle, just another member of the
Virtual Samgha of the Lotus and
Former Candidate for US President (2008 & 2012)

Contact me at bpa_cinc@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment