Sunday, March 22, 2015

A form of monks' greeting

I heard about a greeting meant for monks, strangers to each other, who might happen to meet when traveling in opposite directions on a road in ancient India. One would say to the other:  "Who is your teacher and what are your practices?" And the other would answer these questions and ask them of the one.

There were a lot of different sects in India during the time when the historic buddha (known as Shakyamuni Buddha) lived. And they had a teacher or guru, and varying numbers of disciples. The ancient Indians took their religions very seriously.

If someone would ask me those two questions in this modern day, I would reply:

"My teacher is Shakyamuni Buddha, and my practices are to read, recite, ponder, and to the best of my ability teach the Three-Fold Lotus Sutra. For Shakyamuni stated within its pages that these practices constitute appropriate practices after he [gave the appearance] of his death. He further stated that all Bodhisattvas attain Buddhahood by means of the Lotus Sutra, which he identified as his greatest teaching."

Wait a minute, you might ask, how can Shakyamuni Buddha who died and was cremated over 2,500 years ago be my teacher? He mentioned in the Lotus Sutra that there is "wisdom that comes of itself, teacherless wisdom, Buddha wisdom." If so, then I wouldn't need a teacher of any kind, not even Shakyamuni.

My belief is that the Buddha made this statement as an expedient means, a device to open up our minds to the lessons the universe itself (we suppose) has to offer. However, there is no such thing as "wisdom that comes of itself." Everything has a cause. Such wisdom might seem to come of itself, but my belief is that the Buddha himself whispers in our ears. Then we end up assuming any wisdom we obtain just pops into our heads - uncaused.

Consider this passage from the Lotus Sutra (see Footnote 1):

QUOTE (page 270-271):

In order to save living beings,
as an expedient means I appear to enter nirvana
but in truth I do not pass into extinction.
I am always here, preaching the Law,
I am always here,
but through my transcendental powers
I make so that living beings in their befuddlement
do not see me even when close by.
When the multitude sees that I have passed into extinction,
far and wide they offer alms to my relics.
All harbor thoughts of yearning
and in their minds thirst to gaze at me.
When living beings have become truly faithful,
honest and upright, gentle in intent,
single-mindedly desiring to see the Buddha,
not hesitating even if it costs them their lives,
then I and the assembly of monks
appear together on Holy Eagle Peak.
At that time I tell the living beings
that I am always here, never entering extinction,
but that because of the power of expedient means
at times I appear to be extinct, at other times not,
and that if there are living beings in other lands
who are reverent and sincere in their wish to believe,
then among them too
I will preach the unsurpassed Law.
But you have not heard of this,
so you suppose that I enter extinction.,

:UNQUOTE.

So there it is, but there is more. For the last 8 years, I've practiced alone - that is, without the benefit of a samgha, that is, a congregation of fellow believers. During those years, I've read an English-language translation of the Lotus Sutra over 175 times. If you  made a stack of  this one-inch thick book, that would make a pile over 15 feet high.

In response to my lack of a samgha, I invented a Virtual Samgha. This is a website on which I post essays I've written on a variety of religious topics - not just dealing with Buddhism. I invite comment on these essays, but in the less-than-two years of its existence, I've receive precious few comments.  All good things take time to gain traction, so meanwhile I wait for the Buddha's words to come true in my case, that I will find good fellow students with whom I can study the Lotus Sutra.

Meanwhile, in my war against brick-and-mortar churches, I state:

"I am a member of a sect that has exactly one member - that would be me;
that has exactly one leader - that would be me;
I'm not recruiting though I welcome dialog;
and I don't want your fucking money."

That is, I despise collection plates, though if you want to give alms, make any donations to a cause of your own choosing. For me? That's the United Negro College Fund to which I make donations designated as reparations owed by me - a white American who benefited quite handsomely from the Trans-Atlantic slave trade.

I encourage you to set up your own on-line Virtual Samgha.  Mine is at:
http://LotusSutraChampions.blogspot.com

Meanwhile, I will continue to practice on my own, since the Buddha has spoken of those seekers of the Way who prefer solitary practices.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Steven Searle, just another member of the
Virtual Samgha of the Lotus and
Former Candidate for US President (2008 & 2012)

Contact me at bpa_cinc@yahoo.com

Footnote 1:

Any mention in this post concerning the Lotus Sutra refers to this version, which you don't have to buy since it's available on-line, free of charge:

The Lotus Sutra and Its Opening and Closing Sutras

[That is, the Lotus Sutra, which is preceded by The Immeasurable Meanings Sutra, with the Lotus being followed by the Sutra on how to Practice Meditation on Bodhisattva Universal Worthy.  These three are collectively known as the  Three-Fold Lotus Sutra.]

Translated by Burton Watson
Published in 2009 by Soka Gakkai

 

No comments:

Post a Comment