Friday, June 17, 2011

White House as Homeless Shelter

I am thinking about turning the White House into a homeless shelter.

As your next President, I know my suddenly higher standard of living could prove detrimental to my character. So, as the true minimalist of a Buddhist that I am, I would take a pass on many POTUS perks. For instance, take the White House (please). As a divorced man with no children to support, there's no way I would need all that space. So an inspiration occurred to me:

Why not turn the White House into a homeless shelter? You know, just to make a point (like, "we've got to do something about homelessness and hunger in America"). I hope no one makes any noise about me politicizing the White House or the presidency. Presidents do this all the time; it's just that my aims are a lot less selfish.

How about this as a refinement:

"Maybe I should pick just two homeless people, a married couple, and invite them to stay in the White House bedroom...indefinitely, as my guests." [I’ll add this part even though I personally think it goes without saying: “And I would sleep elsewhere.”]

Hmm...what would the Minutemen think of this? Do you suppose they might rally around their Commander in Chief and demand that immediate action be taken to end the suffering of the homeless? Or do you think the Minutemen would be angry at POTUS for allowing "desecration" of the First Family's bed? Would they rage and fume over the mere idea of "street trash" copulating in the Inner Sanctum? Would they respond as Minutemen? Or as minute men – minute as in "extremely small, insignificant, trifling"?

We’ve got to turn our national values around. And the presidential bedroom is as good a place to start as any.

Steven Searle for US President in 2012
Founder of The Independent Contractors’ Party

“Inviting two homeless people to live with me might seem like a hopelessly small gesture, but we’ve got to start somewhere.”

Contact me at bpa_cinc@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment