Monday, June 20, 2011

Illegal Immigration: Then and Now

Introduction:

Back on Jan. 19, 2007, I posted this piece on the (always) hot-button topic of illegal immigration. Since nothing’s changed between the last election and the one upcoming in 2012, I decided to re-post.

As posted on Jan. 19, 2007

Since I announced that I'm running for President in 2008, a number of people have asked what I would do about illegal immigration, securing our nation's borders, amnesty for currently undocumented workers in this country, etc.

I have a number of thoughts on this matter, which I'll share with you today, though there's not much I'll be able to do directly as president.

My best idea: I will continue to urge you the voters to "throw the bums out." I'm referring here to the Dems & Repubs who currently pretend to be our representatives in the U.S. House and Senate. Those bums! Replace them with independents, preferably with candidates who are willing to put at least some of their campaign promises in the form of a written contract. If I accomplish nothing else in my presidency, I hope to accomplish at least this much:

A total replacement of our Congress with decent, honest, human beings who are truly representative of our interests!

Someone actually got indignant with me when I said I didn't know what to do about the proposed border fence (I'm against it), amnesty, etc.


My response was:

"It's up to the representatives of the people - your Congressmen - to forge the necessary policies. However, the Dems and the Repubs had ample opportunity (for decades) to address these issues before they'd assumed massive proportions. But...they didn't. Why? Because they were trying to play both sides of the fence [pun intended]:

"By furnishing a supply of cheap labor to the corporations & farmers, and at least appearing to be sympathetic to the plight of the (mostly) Hispanic who are being exploited - not to mention appeasing the large voting block of Hispanics who are U.S. citizens sympathetic to their cause."

I need your help in electing a Congress independent enough to honestly and bravely face these issues.

On the one hand, I agree with those who worry about the integrity of our borders, and rightly claim that our laws are not being enforced against undocumented workers and the businesses that employ them.

On the other hand, think about this:

How would you like to be forced (by economic necessity or because of political persecution) to go to another country, learn a new language, leave your family behind, hope to get a job, and hope you're not returned to your country of origin even poorer than when you'd left?

I think we have to reevaluate some of our political and economic policies that have created the imbalances that attract foreign nationals [illegally] to our shores. Wouldn't it be great if we stopped supporting south-of-the-border oligarchs and their death squads? Wouldn't it be great if we revised some of our unfair trading practices that assure U.S. corporations get the lion's share of benefits, while impoverishing Latin and South America?

To the U.S. homegrown fascist militia who patrol our border, I have to ask:

Did it ever occur to you that by "looking the other way" and letting (especially) Mexican "illegals" come in, the U.S. actually prevented Mexico from becoming a Marxist country? "Allowing" the oppressed and dissatisfied from Mexico to come in acted as a safety-valve, taking pressure to reform off their central government. If Mexico had turned Marxist or (gasp!) full-blown Communist, our homeboys would have a lot more to worry about than securing a border.


Steven Searle for U.S. President in 2012
Founder of The Independent Contractors’ Party

“Declare your independence by voting for Independents! Join the New American Revolution!”

No comments:

Post a Comment