Friday, April 22, 2011

Barack Obama: Unfit for Command

Introduction:

There was a defining moment in the decline of the American Way that took place on February 10, 2008. And nobody picked up on it at the time – except me. I had posted the following essay on February 19, 2008 and had this to observe about that moment. Which wasn’t literally a “moment” but was pretty damn close, as you’ll see.


I opened this essay with a Suggestion:

Suggestion:

The pending book opposing the tall, thin Democrat from Illinois should be entitled:

Unfit for Command: Genuine Reformers Speak Out Against Barack Obama

"Genuine reformers" are the kind who actually take the trouble to read a candidate's material - then analyze carefully. Not the kind who wear rose-colored glasses and bleat about how much "change" they want. Not the kind who are among the 650,000 people who have sent checks to Obama's campaign, hoping for .... what? I'm sure they don't even know.

I appreciate the hunger people have for change, but I also appreciate an old saying: "a fool and his money are soon parted." If Obama is elected, most of those hopeful contributors will soon discover they'd thrown their money at a mirage. All in the name of hope.


The 60 Minutes Interview:


UPDATE: On 4/22/11, I tried to access this link but
was denied as follows (Gee, I wonder why):
“This video is no longer available due to a
copyright claim by CBS” – YouTube.


The 60 Minutes segment featuring Steve Kroft interviewing (if you can call it that) Barack Obama was aired on Feb. 10, 2008. Its 12 minutes and 50 seconds contain a few gems:

At the 2:47 point (to 3:30): Kroft brings up the question of experience. However, a few seconds later, Kroft frames the issue (without any prodding) more toward Obama's liking by asking about his executive experience. That's, of course, only part of the experience issue - the other parts being Obama's lack of high-level foreign policy experience and national-level policymaking experience.

Kroft said: "The only thing that you've actually run has been the Harvard Law Review."

Obama replied that he runs his Senate office and this campaign. Well, I'm sure the other 99 Senators also "run" their offices - though perhaps "run from afar and not in a micromanaged way" would be more accurate. Also, I'm sure Obama doesn't "run" his campaign - David Axelrod does. Native Chicagoans, like me, have heard much of this legendary political consultant ("a longtime strategist for Chicago mayor Richard M. Daley" - per Wikipedia).

[Side note: Please don't under-appreciate the Mayor Daley connection. I know Daley won't.]

So there we have it: In this 12:50 interview, only 45 seconds dwell (but not too heavily) on the experience issue. And only executive experience at that. But more than that: We were treated to Obama stretching the truth (lying?) - twice: Running his Senate Office counts as vaunted executive experience, and so does running his campaign (although Axelrod is indisputably in charge).

Hmm...what to think, what to think?

And, of course, Kroft doesn't call Obama on either point. But...it must have been hard for Kroft to be critical with so many stars in his eyes. [The stars were painfully obvious.]

At the 5:25 point: At a Seattle basketball arena, we see a rally of 18,000 who "didn't come to hear details [about Obama's programs]." That's right...they didn't come to hear details - this is exactly what the narrator said.

I said it once and I'll say it again: The devil is in the details. Those who ignore details, especially not caring if their candidate offers many, will get exactly what they deserve: Nothing! No improvement in national health care, no relief from legislative gridlock, no relief from the endless War on Terror.

That crowd of 18,000 reminded me of how desperately we yearn for One Great Man to change everything. That's akin to the need to believe in God. No one man can do that - not without a plan (which only I have and have shared abundantly in detail). Those 18,000 reminded me of something I'd heard in the ‘70s:

"What will be the Next Big Thing after the Beatles?"

My answer back then was the same as it is now:

"The Next Big Thing will be you or, more to the point, us! So what are you waiting for?" [Translation? If you aren't the type to seek the mantle of leadership yourself, then support those who do - especially those who have something solid to offer.]

At the 7:50 point: Obama said, "I always reserve, as Commander in Chief, the right to assess the situation." That was said shortly after Kroft quoted Obama as being in favor of withdrawing all US troops from Iraq by the end of 2009, a point which Obama reaffirmed. However, Kroft then asked if Obama would favor withdrawal, "regardless of the situation, even if there's serious sectarian violence." That's when Obama reserved the "right to assess the situation."

Ho-hum...just remember: Lyndon Johnson was touted as the "peace candidate" when he ran against Barry Goldwater once upon a time.

Tell me: When are people going to get it? Obama is no different than any other glib politician.


Barack Obama's Qualifications

As far as I can tell, Obama has two major qualifications and one major downside.

In his favor:

·         People perceive him as being different and non-mainstream. He certainly seemed to come from nowhere or from out of right field. It will become obvious fairly soon in an Obama administration just how far to the right he'll be willing to move. He'll call that "a willingness to work with the other side" - more on that in a moment.

·         Obama is very good at acting presidential. He projects an even-temperament, dignity, and humor. I hope, for our sake, that President Obama turns out to be more than just another good actor.


His major downside:

·         As much as he might tout his willingness to work with the other side, that "other side" (read "GOP") won't have it. They will turn out to be very sore losers bent on undermining him from the outset. And Obama won't be able (or willing) to do anything about that. But I [if elected as your next president] can and I will.


As for Steve Kroft

The "conductor" (if you will) of this 60 Minutes segment deserves a special nod of recognition. Steve Kroft represents lapdog media at its most typical degree of uselessness, although who could blame him (I can, so I guess I'm asking, "Who else?")? Steve and his corporate bosses are only trying to milk a human interest story for all it's worth. Forget about hard-hitting questions.

In the old days, Minstrel Shows depicted white actors in blackface makeup going for laughs. I think we have a more evolved form of the Minstrel Show now. Highly-paid media personalities are making themselves up, portraying themselves as "journalists." In reality, they don't care to dig for any kind of truth, they just seek to entertain us or stroke us somehow.

I would ask Mr. Kroft: "Just what kind of Minstrel Show are you trying to put over on us, sir?"


Conclusion: Plan B

It won't matter if Barack Obama becomes President. Actually, it won't matter who becomes President. Except in my case: If I'm elected, it will matter big time. As the ultimate outsider, my leverage will be enormous.

As for the others? They won't have to worry about trying to be a good President, because the Shadow Government won't let them drag the country down. Or, I should say, "...drag their interests down." No matter who gets elected. Within the last 50 years, the Powers-that-Be figured out that too much was at stake to allow any loose-cannon-of-a-President to really run things. Which is why there are (shall we say?) "mechanisms" in place to allow for a wide variety of contingencies.

It will be interesting to see which of these contingency plans is employed. Maybe this one: John McCain clutching his chest in the throes of a "heart attack" while being interviewed by...Steve Kroft? Maybe this would "coincidentally" come to pass if the GOP inner circle decided that John McCain could not win.

I'm sure there is a shadow faction among the Democrats who have their own contingency plans. It would be interesting to know if these factions oppose each other or are really in it together.

Which leaves me...

What am I trying to do by offering myself as a candidate for U.S. President? Do I really have a Plan B? Is it possible to wrest power away from the Shadow Government?

I come right out and say: "I don't have any experience - executive or otherwise. All I have to offer is a considerable degree of spiritual awakening." But wait...I can't prove even that much. I don't have a degree from Naropa Institute or a certificate from Ken Wilber's Integral Institute.

I don't even have the power of attraction (apparently). I heard an old story about an unknown guru who came to the United States, barely speaking any English. He sat down in the middle of Central Park in New York and just started chanting. Others, being drawn to this activity, joined him. I don't know how true this story is, but it would be lovely if I could do that.

Even if it turns out that I can't, I know one thing for sure: I am planting the seeds of a future which will come to pass. The seeds from which true and lasting change will grow...change that will outlast Senator Obama et al. There is value in persistence of effort and I vow to demonstrate this.

Stay tuned.


Steven Searle for U.S. President in 2012
Founder of The Independent Contractors’ Party

“I’ve reflected over that Kroft/Obama segment over the years, edging ever closer to this conclusion: That piece had been well-rehearsed in advance to the point of being virtually choreographed. Once again, the American people got played” – Steve.

Contact me at: bpa_cinc@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment