Thursday, January 6, 2011

Stop the profanity: A commercial idea

I’d like to see the following posted as a YouTube clip. Here’s a script for something I call “Daddy, daddy.”


TITLE: Daddy, daddy

ACTORS:  A father and his son:

The son: A big, flabby, crude-looking white man with long black hair between 25 and 30 years old with a big belly and well-groomed facial hair. He’s dressed only in a diaper, combat boots, an oversized bonnet, and a t-shirt that doesn’t quite cover his belly. The t-shirt has the word “junior” printed on the front.

The father: A skinny well-dressed (in a suit) professorial black man.

SETTING: The setting is in a public park with other people in the distance (out of ear shot). The father is sitting on a bench serenely smoking a pipe and looking occasionally thoughtful. The son is standing in front of the bench, looking antsy and borderline agitated, pacing back and forth in front his dad.

The dialogue:

-        Daddy, daddy, I think heard a bad word today.

-        Tell me.

-        I saw these two men arguing. And one called the other an [pause]

-        What did he call him?

-        [son whispers in his dad’s ear, so we can’t hear]

-        I know what that word means, but he said it like a curse word. Why, daddy, why?

-        So…you want to know what it means when somebody is called … that.

-        Yes.

-        Well, junior, tell me what you think the word means.

-        Well..(thinking)…(then saying defensively) I don’t want to get gross about this.

-        That’s okay (beaming). You’re my son. We can talk about these things. But if you want, pretty it up for me.

-        Well, that word means… a place that isn’t fit to be seen in public. And dark and nasty stuff comes out of it which smells terrible. Is that about right?

-        Very good, my boy. And why would someone use that as a curse word?

-        Well, daddy, it must mean someone wants to tell someone else they’re no better than something that isn’t fit to be seen in public.

-        And?

-        And nothing good comes from that person. Only dark and nasty, stinky stuff – figuratively speaking.

-        Which no one wants to look at or take seriously, right?

-        [pauses to let that sink in] Wow…that’s a pretty bad thing to call someone, isn’t it? And you’d have to be so mad to call someone that…so mad that…

-        So mad, you stop seeing them as a person but only as an [mouths the word]

-        Daddy?

-        Yes

-        Are there any other curse words I should know about?

-        [pauses to reflect, then leans over and whispers in his son’s ear, so we can’t hear. Son’s eyes grow wide, then he shifts into a thoughtful expression]

-        [The father stands up, takes his son by the hand, and they start walking. Father pauses and says out loud (so anyone could hear)]: Oh, and two more curse words come to mind – and these are the worst of the worst: Democrats and Republicans.

-        [gasps] Shh, daddy, someone might hear you!

-        I’m so sorry son, I wasn’t thinking.

-        [pause, as they walk a few more steps. Son turns and looks up to his dad.] Even a baby knows how bad those guys are.

Freeze frame. These words appear on screen:

“Stop the profanity. Stop sending the profane to Washington. Vote Independent.”


An Invitation

I invite any of you, dear readers, to take a stab at posting this piece on YouTube. For the sake of formality, I hereby waive my copyright, except if I might decide someday to take a stab at producing this myself. Which I might, since I have a mental picture of what “Daddy, daddy” should look like. But that’s my vision. Doesn’t have to be yours. You’re free to produce as is or adapt to your heart’s content.

I’d like to see the internet flooded with “elect Independents” video clips from a wide variety of sources, in a wide variety of styles. I know it’s pretty easy to make a YouTube video, though (sadly) I’ve never acquired those skills. But I can script. If you too can do that much, go ahead and post, and encourage the vid savvy out there to bring your script to life.

The only way to fight against the heavily-financed Dem/Pubs is to create short, powerful messages for the web. It’s true: A picture is worth a thousand words. And gives huge bang for the dollar. Which is just as well, since I’m billing myself as the only presidential candidate in the US to refuse campaign contributions. I will make no attempt to raise money nor will I accept funding from any source. By the way, I’m not a millionaire who can secretly finance his own campaign. But, for the record, I’ll say, “I won’t spend any of my own money on my campaign.”

“Well, that’s unique,” you might say.

“But how can such an approach possibly work,” you might ask.

It can only work by means of getting the word out. And, by default, that seems to leave only the internet as a viable means of doing this. Of course, any expense involved would have to be borne by the individuals involved. But there’s an upside to that: They would not have to ask my permission, since they’d be operating as independent agents. That’s rich: Independent agents (We-the-People) supporting independent politics.

The “independent” part is the easiest part to promote and most likely to resonate with voters. The hard part will be promoting the ideal of candidates exchanging written contracts* for votes. That type of vision is hard to present in the form of a visual commercial, but it can be done. I’ll soon post some samples from my 2008 campaign.

I’d love to see someone (hint, hint) try to parody this clip’s approach, though the end-line would be “Only Independents can protect you from politicians [instead of “mayhem”] like me”:



Steven Searle for US President in 2012
Founder of The Independent Contractors' Party

“You wouldn’t sell your house without a written contract; why give your vote away?” – Steve.

No comments:

Post a Comment