Thursday, August 7, 2014

Comments on the movie "I Origins"

Introduction

This is not a movie review, but only a few of my observations on the recently-released movie "I Origins." These will make sense only to those who have already seen the movie - and I hope that turns out to be everybody! I myself saw this film three times in the only theater in Chicago showing it.

To be sure, this movie has a lot of flaws. But it is also thought-provoking and has an undeniable emotional attraction. And it stays with you. This link is for people who haven't seen the movie, but they will not gain much from my comments below (except, perhaps, the words I devote to karma at the end): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Origins


Is Salomina a reincarnated Sofi?

I was not convinced that 7-year-old Salomina is the reincarnated wife of Dr. Ian Gray. When the elevator door opened (noisily, I might add), Salomina started crying and clung to Dr. Gray who was standing next to her. He took her reaction to stem from her memory of having been cut in half by an elevator in her previous life as Sofi.

I, however, saw another possibility. Salomina was an orphan who felt she was about to be returned to the streets. She had been treated kindly by Dr. Gray, who fed her and showed her what a decent living style looks like - in the form of his elegant hotel room. Maybe the opening of that elevator door signaled to her the end of this promising new beginning, and she was about to resume her former life on the streets. Maybe when she cried and clung to him, it was more in the spirit of, "Please don't send me away."

And when he looks at her face and sees tears streaming down, he has an epiphany - even though his earlier test of her memories as Sofi was inconclusive. Dr. Gray then picks her up. But as he turns away from the elevator to walk down the stairs, we see Salomina smiling as if feeling, "Everything's going to be alright now, he's not going to send me away."

I'm sure the others in the three audiences I was part of believed (or wanted to believe) that Ian had found his reincarnated Sofi. I thought the filmmaker, however, did a great job of leaving room for the alternative explanation I'm offering. The first seed of doubt was when Salomina first set eyes on Ian; there wasn't any flicker of recognition on her part "saying," "Haven't I seen you somewhere before?"

 

Comparison of Two Tests

Ian Gray's infant son and Salomina were both tested for former-life memories. But these tests were markedly different from each other - as different as the subjects themselves.

Salomina was shown sets of three pictures on a page and asked to pick which of the three she liked best. Of course, she had seven years as Salomina that could have reshaped her idea of favorite, from what was Sofi's idea of favorite. One set of pictures stuck in my mind: This page showed a white bird, a turtle, and an elephant. Maybe I'm being sexist here, but what little girl is going to pick a turtle or elephant over an elegant white bird in flight? The white bird was the "correct" answer, but better science would have dictated that the other two images be of other birds, just as pretty though not white.

In the beginning, Salomina chose the correct images. But when she started choosing incorrect ones, her face looked anxious. It seems she then tried to choose the images she thought would please Ian. Salomina should not have learned, immediately after choosing, that her choices were "correct" or "incorrect." Ian should have told Karen, out of this subject's earshot, "Let's use a code: If a choice is correct, I'll say 'Julius' - if incorrect, I'll say 'Caesar.'" Of course, it doesn't matter which code words are used as long as they would be neutral to Salomina's ears - that is, don't pick words like "elevator," "Sofi," "plus," or "minus." These might influence the subject's future answers.

It also makes a difference that Ian not show his pleasure or disappointment in Salomina's answers. And if a set of pictures wasn't up to his standards, he should not be saying, "That wasn't a very good one." In fact, he should have more carefully scrutinized each set of pictures in advance so as to discard any that weren't "very good."

 
The meaning of names

Ian means "God is gracious" - an interesting name for this particular character, Ian Gray being an atheistic scientist. [NOTE: God talk bothers me, but it is a good way to connect to a Western audience.]

Karen means "pure," which is how this Brit Marling character comes across throughout this movie.

Sofi means "wisdom." One can be wise without having an extensive laboratory and years of institutional education under one's belt.

As for Salomina: "Salom" means "peace" in Hebrew, and "ina" is a suffix used to form feminine nouns. I couldn't find the name "Salomina" in any database, so it's either rarely given to a child or is an invention of the script writer. I found this fascinating quote on the meaning of "salom," which speaks volumes on the way "Salomina" was used in this movie:


QUOTE:

[source: http://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/peace/ ]

 
The biblical concept of peace...rests heavily on the Hebrew root slm, which means "to be complete" or "to be sound." The verb conveys both a dynamic and a static meaning "to be complete or whole" or "to live well." The noun had many nuances, but can be grouped into four categories: (1) salom [l'v] as wholeness of life or body (i.e., health); (2) salom [l'v] as right relationship or harmony between two parties or people, often established by a covenant...; (3) salom [l'v] as prosperity, success, or fulfillment ...; and (4) salom [l'v] as victory over one's enemies or absence of war. Salom [l'v] was used in both greetings and farewells. It was meant to act as a blessing on the one to whom it was spoken: "May your life be filled with health, prosperity, and victory."

:UNQUOTE.

 
Even though this next source admits that Salomina isn't a name that came up in their database, they nevertheless offer this amazing statement which will give pause to anyone who's seen "I Origins:"

 
QUOTE:

[source: http://www.themeaningofnames.org/?n=Salomina&m=8&d=18&y=1962&go=Go ]

Salomina: I do not know how you feel about it, but you were a female in your last earthly incarnation. You were born somewhere around the territory of Central India approximately on 1275. Your profession was preacher, publisher, scribbler of ancient inscriptions.

Your brief psychological profile in that past life: Timid, constrained, quiet person. You had creative talents, waited until that life to be liberated. Sometimes environment considered you strange. Lessons that your last past life brought to present: Your main task – to make the world more beautiful. Physical and spiritual deserts are just waiting for your touch. Keep smiling! Now do you remember?

:UNQUOTE.

 
I have absolutely no idea upon what authority the preceding paragraph was based. Still...it does add to the overall mystique of the character.

 

What about the name "Kashish?"

On a hunch, I looked up the meaning of the name "Kashish," which is the name of the 10-year-old actress who herself is an orphan in India, who has the role of "Salomina" in the movie:

 
QUOTE:

[source: http://askganesha.co.in/babynames/female-babyname.php?id=Kashish&nam=K ]

Meaning: an attraction

Your first name of Kashish has made you a friendly, approachable, and generous person. This name inclines you to be sympathetic and generous to those in difficult or unfortunate circumstances. You can be firm, positive, and independent in your own ideas and in reaching your own decisions, yet when it comes to taking action or following things through to completion, you often need encouragement. You respond quickly to kind words or any appreciation shown you.

:UNQUOTE.

 
This is a good description of the real-life Kashish as depicted in an article I read describing how she landed the role of Salomina out of 1,400 girls who were also considered.


Dying in the elevator

When Sofi and Ian were trapped in the elevator, I sensed that Sofi knew she was going to die. That's why she wanted Ian to be the first to go to safety. That way, there was a chance that he would live. If she had tried to go first, she knew the elevator would fall, killing both of them.


The Preacher

When Ian brought Salomina back to his hotel, hand-in-hand, he was going to take the elevator to his room. But he saw the preacher waiting for that same elevator, with his back turned toward them. The preacher had said, earlier, "Maybe our paths will cross again." Well, they did - kind of. The preacher stood as an object of consideration. Dr. Gray probably didn't feel like talking to this guy, who had made him uneasy at their first meeting with his over-friendliness. And he also thought: "I don't want this guy to start questioning me, as to why I'm bringing this young girl up to my room."


Adopting Salomina

Ian might have wanted to adopt Salomina, which would have made for some fascinating complications. For one, Karen might have a problem with bringing Ian's former wife into their family. For another, should Salomina ever be told, "Ian was your husband in your last incarnation...but he's your adoptive father now?"

Then there's the issue of where to live. Salomina had been born in India for karmic reasons. Maybe the Gray family should consider relocating to India out of respect for those reasons. Why do so many assume that bringing her to the States would be for the best? Karen and Ian wouldn't have any problem finding jobs in India, even before they learned how to speak Hindi.

I can hear the hue and cry now, "What?! Americans relocating to India?" Why not?

 
The Science & Religion behind the Movie

Is it possible to use Iris Pattern Recognition to identify someone who has been reincarnated? Speaking as a Buddhist, I will say, "Yes, but only if the deceased had chosen to keep his unique pattern when the time came for his rebirth." As for the extreme case of a Hitler, he'd have no control since his next birth - after spending eons in hell - would be as a dung beetle. I doubt that beetle would have the kind of eyes that could accommodate the human Hitler's iris patterns.

I hope the filmmaker isn't trying to say that our iris patterns are some kind of eternal markers of our unique identities. There are bodhisattvas who are so advanced in their practices as being able to shapeshift at will into a variety of animate and inanimate manifestations. So it's doubtful that any vestige of a former incarnation (such as an iris pattern) would be an immutable constant.

As for Intelligent Design, we can have that without having to have an Intelligent Designer. For ID is nothing more than karma. If we insist on such a designer existing, why only one? And why couldn't each of us, in our own cases at least, be considered that Designer? We craft our own "destinies," why not our own appearances?

I don't think of my own eyes as having evolved, as much as having been the product of my own behavior (again, karma) over the course of trillions of lifetimes. In the Buddhist context, having eyes is only part of the equation:


QUOTE*:

If in the midst of the great assembly
someone with a fearless mind
preaches this Lotus Sutra,
listen to the benefits he will receive!

Such a person gains superior eyes
with eight hundred benefits.
As a result of these adornments
his eyes will become extremely pure.
With the eyes received at birth from his parents
he will be able to view the major world system,
its inner and outer parts,...
down as far as the Avichi hell,
up to the Summit of Being heaven.
And he will see all the living beings
in their midst.
Though he has not yet gained heavenly eyes,
the power of his physical eyes will be such as this.

:UNQUOTE.


Tell you what. If such "superior eyes" were to be dissected, no surgeon or researcher would be able to tell why these eyes would be capable of such feats.
 
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Steven Searle, just another member of
the Virtual Samgha of the Lotus and
Former candidate for USA President (in 2008 & 2012)

Contact me at bpa_cinC@yahoo.com

Footnote: * Page 292 of "The Lotus Sutra and Its Opening and Closing Sutras," translated by Burton Watson, published by Soka Gakkai in 2009.

32 comments:

  1. Great comments! Helped me catch up the meaning of some of the scenes I might have missed while watching..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words, Gorazd. I'm glad you had a chance to check out a film as thought-provoking as "I Origins." We get so few such movies these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a really good read, thank you! Just for interest sake the name Salomina does exist. My grandmother was named Salomina. It is used as an Afrikaans name in South Africa. My name was derived from Salomina, Salomey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I could catch up meanings of "I Origins"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salomey Van Zyl,

    It's fascinating to me that Salomina is used as an Afrikaans name. It would be interesting to see how that came to be, since that name has a Hebrew origin. At first blush, it would seem likeliest to occur among Jews or in places where there's a heavy Jewish influence. But I haven't seen any evidence of this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi! what is Salomina saying (screaming) when the elevator opens?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pifka,

    Good question. I don't know and didn't even think about it. Nice catch. I'll try to find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like she is screaming "my name was ___ ___" couldn't make out the last part...I sure would like to know.

      Delete
  8. It sounds like she is screaming "my name was ___ ___" couldn't make out the last part...I sure would like to know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think if anyone could tell us exactly was she was screaming at the end that would give us a better insight right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mark,

    I agree. I managed to find the screenplay on line, but only part of it. If anyone can locate the entire script, that would help remove any ambiguity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you see the scene at the end of movies AFTER credits where historical "good" people have "come back" or are found by Dr Simmons. But bad folks have NO MATCH. Reincarnated as insects or animals???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to watch again, but interesting question. I have always thought (my opinion) the reincarnation time [to be reborn] (depending on their karma) would be around 30-40 days. And that the causes they have made in their past would determine how quickly they would be born. The ones born more quickly are more fortunate. But I have also understood it to be (as a Buddhist) that before you are born into this life, you choose the people and circumstances and parents that will best fit your 'expansion' -if you will- or the circumstances to play out your karma (or learning lessons for growth), so that would make you think if it would take longer to be reborn, and completely depend on what your purpose was in the next existence.

      Delete
  12. I think Salomina is speaking some indian lenguage, when they are waiting in front the elevator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for these thoughts! I really appreciated your skepticism about both the experiment Ian ran and why Salomina clung to Ian when the elevator opened. I think adding these bits of uncertainty gave the movie depth - I thoroughly enjoyed it. Maybe science and religion/spirituality will someday reconcile?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have you noticed that the day Salomina had her iris tested, 11-03-2013, is full of 11?
    1+1+0+3+2+0+1+3= 11
    11+03+2013= 2027... 2+0+2+7=11
    11+03+20+13= 47... 4+7=11

    for this reason I think Salomina is Sofi reincarnated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Just another hidden message: alphabet has 26 letters, but they stopped with Y (at that moment I did think: and Z?), so there were only 25 pics. 44% of 25 is 11. I think even when all points or view are valid, about if Solomina is or is not Sofi, the final message is a mutated Ian; he really smiles when the light hits him in his way down with Salomina at his arms, to finally open "the door" and cross it.

      Delete
    4. There's a Z : The elevator.

      Delete
  15. Very cool, Anonymous. Never crossed my mind. But what you say makes me think about the number 11 itself: 1 + 1 = 2. That is, one Salomina and one Sofi equals two separate entities. The only difference between the two ones (when combined to make the number 11) is the place one occupies relative to the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. first of all, I didn't want to be anonymous, but I didn't know which option I had to choose for writing my opinion...
      My name is Herme and I live in a town near Barcelona, in Catalonia.
      Maybe one "one" represents Sofi, Salomina and the other reincarnated women, and the other "one" is related to all the men.
      I think we will never know all the truth about this movie. However, I am convinced that Salomina, who says her favourite meal are strawberries, is the reincarnation of Sofi, who said that strawberry mentos were her favourites...

      Delete
    2. Herme, I hope you didn't take offense when I addressed you as "Anonymous." I meant no disrespect or harm. You mentioned Catalonia, which brought to mind one of my favorite books by George Orwell called "Homage to Catalonia." Orwell was effusive in his praise of the natives of that region.

      As for the movie itself, I read that there will be a sequel, so maybe we'll get more clues. In my practice of Buddhism, I've encountered cases of women reincarnating as men. As for vice versa? I don't see why not, though I have not encountered this in my studies.

      Delete
    3. Of course I didn't take offense :)
      I think you are right about Buddhism, maybe we will know some answers in the sequel.
      Another thought-provoking movie is "Another Earth" from the same director.
      I'm sorry if I make some mistakes in grammar, English is not my mother tongue.

      Delete
    4. I'm with you, concerning "Another Earth" - awesome! Saw it three times. Another great Brit Marling film: "The Sound of my Voice, which I also saw 3 times. There's a saying in Buddhism: "The voice does the Buddha's work." When Maggie says to her disciples, "After I'm gone, the only thing you'll remember about me is the sound of my voice," I had to see this film. And, sure enough, I saw elements of Buddhism there. I was so moved, I wrote a blog about it on this site, which turned out to have had more hits than any of my other 500 or so essays.

      As for your English, it's great. I am so ashamed of myself that I only speak one language. Always wants to learn Spanish but always procrastinated. Too bad. I wanted to be able to speak to my oncologist in his native language - he's from Peru, but his English is far better than mine.

      My only real connection to Spanish lies in the huge number of Spanish-language movies I've seen.

      Delete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Maybe the opening of that elevator door signaled to her the end of this promising new beginning, and she was about to resume her former life on the streets. Maybe when she cried and clung to him, it was more in the spirit of, "Please don't send me away."
    **************************************************************************************
    if she was scaring to return on streets why she wasn't be scared when he took her to "street" via ladders?
    I think this scene filmed special for believers and not believers. Because we create our world via our thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing I thought so touching. Ian was with Sofi when she died. She died in his arms. How comforting for her but hellish for Ian. Then when Ian meets Salomina he meets her at the worst time of her life. When she has lost everything including her parents (just like Sofi lost her parents around the same age!) and he is able to connect (or help guide her) to her next chapter in life and ultimately to safety. When we think about how we impact others (on an eternal scale) that's whats so mind-blowing. :)

      Delete
  18. I was deeply moved by this movie, just like Cloud Atlas. I was surprised after reading everything you wrote, to realize I am also a Nichiren Buddhist practitioner lol and also study the Lotus Sutra (NMRK). However, getting back to the movie, and as a Buddhist, I saw so many connections and 'patterns' of similar circumstances being played out. It seems Sofi was the catalyst to bring him to expansion of himself. Karen was always supporting Ian (she saved his eyes that night [interesting] and later helped him through his grief, then gave him life [a child]. She acted more like a soulmate while Sofi had a more intense reaction. My friend (who does not believe in reincarnation) also understood the last elevator scene like you did. I took it as Salomina had a reaction that she couldn't explain, but the fear was real. With trauma I am sure it leaves an echo or imprint in your future existence possibly. But he was always trying to find her [interesting] as Sofi & Salomina. Always found her through her eyes. Why the eyes?? And when she explained to Ian about doors closed, and doors opening (there's light coming through...). He always need facts (to see)... a lot of interesting aspects with this masterpiece of a movie. Well done director!

    ReplyDelete