Saturday, April 19, 2014

Movie Review: Only Lovers Left Alive

Spoiler Alert: I'm going to give the ending away. This I do in order to offer the product of my own mind: a better ending. Well, you be the judge of that. Oh, and while I'm at it, I'll put – at the very end – my proposed ending for Apocalypse Now. Sorry, Francis Ford, but your ending was horrible.


First things, first

Before I reveal my better ending, here are some comments more typical of a run-of-the-mill movie review. Whoever cast Tilda Swinton in the female lead deserves a medal. Swinton was magnificent and the perfect counterpart to Tom Hiddleston's brooding gothic. This was a long movie, much of it focused on these two. They anchored it well, which suited the total lack of the hyper-kinetic action which most audiences expect these days. Adam wore well the face of world-weariness and Eve (much older than Adam) tried to give him some anchoring perspective. So as the movie unfolded, any introduction of violence or even pulse-quickening action would have been anti-thematic.

Lovers” was beautiful to look at, so fans of elegant cinematography won't be disappointed. And the humor was soft-spoken and unobtrusive though fitting.


The actual ending

Adam and Eve (Tom and Tilda) are vampires living an ocean apart – he's in Detroit and she's in Tangier, Morocco. They've been married to each other for over 100 years and are both centuries older than that. Eve visits Adam in Detroit, with both of them ending up having to flee to her place in Tangiers. Then disaster strikes – her source for blood (another vampire played by John Hurt) dies soon after their arrival.

As they ponder their fate on some rooftop, they spy a young couple making out. They decide to “transform” them but not kill them. The movie ends with them approaching the young couple. Eve says, “Excuse me,” just before the last shot of them baring their fangs.


My proposed ending

As Adam and Eve spy this young couple, Adam says, “I wish I had a sign telling us what we should do.” Then we hear a cassette tape playing from the street below, “Here comes the sun” by the Beatles.

Adam's face contorts as he listens and considers this song. He turns to Eve and says, “I'm tired of taking decisions away from unsuspecting people. Who am I to say they should become like us, just to satisfy my own needs?”

Eve: “But we'll die if we don't take this opportunity.”

Adam: “Is death really so bad?”

Eve: “If you believe God exists, death for us could end up being quite horrible.”

Adam thinks about that for a moment and says, “If God exists and wants to punish us, why don't we simply ask Him to dis-create us? You know, erase us as if we'd never been created.”

Eve: “That's novel. How will you persuade Him to do that?”

Adam: “I'll say, why keep us in existence only to inflict an infinity of suffering upon us? Wouldn't that make you the greatest terrorist of all time?”

Eve [laughs]: “Oh, that's going to be good for points.”

Adam: “What's He going to do if my words offend Him – punish us for eternity?”

Eve: “And if there is no God, but only reincarnation to look forward to?”

Adam: “Maybe we've put off reincarnation too long. Maybe we need the shock of death to rattle our arrogant, complacent selves into a new awareness.”

Eve [pauses]: “I'll go whichever way you go. Lead on.”

The next scene shows them both sitting by the water's edge just before sunrise. Eve turns to Adam and says, “Do you have any regrets?”

Adam: “Mostly that I wasn't as charitable as I could have been.”

Eve: “Charitable?”

Adam: “Every time I think of how much money I gave that doctor for blood, I think of money that could have helped someone in need. But, no, I had to give it to that blood sucker.”

Eve [laughs]: “He was the worst of the blood suckers, wasn't he.”

Adam [as the camera slowly pulls away]: “He most certainly was.”

Here Comes the Sun” starts playing as the sun rims over the horizon – and Adam and Eve both burst into flame.


Apocalypse Now

When Captain Willard fails to call in that he, as assigned, killed Colonel Kurtz, the USAF commences a carpet bombing of the temple complex where the rogue army is holed up. As soon as the first bombs hit, the ground splits open and swallows Willard and Kurtz into a labyrinth of tunnels under the complex. After the bombs stop, we see Willard and Kurtz staring at each other, sprawled on the ground.

Kurtz stands up and tries to wipe the dust off his clothes. He says, “Your army has just wiped out my army. So I have no more army.”

Willard continues the thought “My army showed it was willing to kill me to get at you. So I have no more army.”

[pause] Kurtz considers this, extends his hand toward Willard and says, “We need to talk.”

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Steven Searle, just another member of the
Virtual Samgha of the Lotus and
former candidate for USA President (in 2008 & 2012)


Contact me at bpa_cinc@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment