Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Lars von Trier's "Nymph()maniac"

Spoiler alert

If you haven't already seen these two films, don't read on if you don't want to know how Volume II ends.


General comment

I had a huge problem with the ending, and came up with what I believe to be a superior version. That being said, both volumes are well worth seeing - if for no other reason than wonderful performances, especially by Charlotte Gainsbourg and Stellan Skarsgard. And, oddly enough, the humor von Trier shares with us.


A Cat and the One who got away

My proposed ending will make more sense in the context of this true, brief story from my personal life:

On Dec. 31, 2009, I was helping a female friend move from her basement living space into a two-bedroom unit with me. I had offered to share my newly-leased space with her, without asking for any help with the rent or utility bills.

Disclaimer: I know what some of you are thinking, so let's address that right away. My friend and I never had a romantic relationship. She wasn't even into friendly hugs, so that stopped pretty early on in our four-plus years of sharing living space. And yet, I think of our time together - she now lives out of state - as among the most richly rewarding in my life. Imagine that! Without sex!

My friend loves cats and had three living with her in her space. I heard a scratching at the window, which she opened to reveal a fragile kitten. The kitten didn't come in but merely waited until she put a small bowl of food on the sill. This was one of the coldest days of the year and the poor thing was shivering and walked with a limp. But it didn't try to come in, even though she urged it to.

After eating, the kitten limped away into the cold night and she closed the window. As if anticipating my question, she said: "She won't come in because she lives with her mom and littermates in a garage. She wants to stay with her family and I respect that."

I came to know my friend as someone who would rather see her cats eat than feed herself. That's an unusual kind of love. So is it any wonder that I came to love her for having such a selfless spirit. What might be a wonder – to some – is how anyone can love without sex. It's not only possible, but in some cases, far more rewarding.

I call her “The one who got away.” I've had two other women in my life, whom I've never seen again, and I worship the memories of the times we had together.


The Ending

Joe ends up killing the man who had taken her in. She had been badly beaten in an alley where he (Seligman) found her. He took her to his place to recuperate and they spend the night talking. She shares her life story with this very cerebral man who is a virgin living in a depressing dump. She is very open in what she shares and tries to answer his questions as directly as possible.

As dawn breaks, she says she wants to go to sleep and then thanks him for being the only friend she ever had. She also says she wants to kick her sex addiction. He leaves and closes the door behind him. So far, so good. But soon, we see her asleep and the door opening. Seligman approaches Joe's bed wearing only a shirt. He shifts her body with sex in mind. She awakens with a start and pulls a gun out of her purse.

Then the screen goes black and we hear him say, “But you've fucked thousands of men.” She doesn't say a word but we hear a shot and then the sound of her feet running hurriedly into the night.


My objections

For Seligman to approach Joe as he did was completely out of character. The films – neither Vol I nor Vol II – didn't prepare us for this. In fact, he seemed the epitome of the sympathetic, platonic friend. And yet, Lars von Trier is telling us there is no such thing in spite of all appearances to the contrary.

I also had a problem with Joe trying to shoot the male lover of her female lover in the alley. Joe didn't know how to fire this particular type of gun, so her intended victim ended up beating the crap out of her. [NOTE: Seligman tells her what she should have done to get the gun to fire properly.] Her female lover (also present) then pisses on her. Nothing in the film prepared us for Joe attempting to kill a stranger. There wasn't any hint that Joe was in love with her lover, so jealousy couldn't have been a motive. In fact, Joe discounts love as a factor in adult human relationships.

So we have two people acting grossly out of character, violating how they were presented earlier in the film.


My ending

As soon as Joe told Seligman that she regarded him as the only friend she ever had, he should have (as happened in the film) left her alone to sleep, closing the door behind him. With the camera still focused on the door, however, the screen should have gone to black showing these words, “Two years later.”

Joe and Seligman would be living together in a warm, inviting, brightly lit place in the countryside. She'd be in the garden, tending to her plants. And he would be at a gate with a friend looking at her. Seligman would say, “Who is she? A friend.” When asked, “With benefits?,” he responds with, “More than you can imagine, but no sex. This is much better than you can imagine.”


Afterthought

As for Seligman having thoughts of (er) abandoning his virginity, that's the realm of the sex surrogate. He didn't have to “approach” Joe in his unerected nudity. It can't be said he tried to rape Joe, just that he didn't ask for her permission. If some woman told me that I was the only friend she had in life – after being sexual with thousands of men – I would have felt immensely honored and supportive. And I don't think I'm being unique here. Certainly, Seligman had been portrayed as being similarly sympathetic to the female cause.

No doubt about it – Lars von Trier blew the ending.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Steven Searle, Just another member of the
Virtual Sangha of the Lotus and
former candidate for President of the United States (in 2008 & 2012)


Contact me at bpa_cinc@yahoo.com



No comments:

Post a Comment