Monday, February 3, 2014

Yahoo! - Stop your sabotage

I have ranted, several times on this site, about my suspicions concerning Yahoo being a censor when it comes to comments posted on its news articles. I can only speak from my personal experience, though I have read posts from others with similar complaints as well. As I've written before, I feel strongly that Yahoo! divulges the identities of its "fringe" posters to the NSA. I'm sure they feel they're doing their part to protect national security. But...that doesn't make it right and that doesn't mean I have to like it. And...it doesn't mean national security will be enhanced, but could be severely weakened instead.

About two years ago, I found it very difficult to post my comments on Yahoo's message boards. Most of my comments managed to reach an audience. But a significant minority didn't make it at all or were deleted by Yahoo after making a brief appearance. Recently, I tried to post a comment on Israel which had an entire paragraph deleted. And a few days ago, my comment on the US Constitution's Second Amendment was sabotaged.

This is what I tried to post (note my highlight in yellow):

QUOTE:


The 2nd is the only amendment that has its reason for being incorporated into the text of the amendment itself. Ask yourself why the amendment didn't simply say: “The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” Short and sweet, right? But those preceding words are a defacto kill-mechanism. If the reason for being no longer exists, then the 2nd becomes null and void.

To wit, A well regulated Militia is NOT necessary to the security of OUR state [or “nation,” if you prefer], has not been for well over 50 years, and will never be in this modern age. It is not needed to repel foreign invaders, since our best-in-the-world, regular armed forces are more than up to that task. As for providing a check on an over-reaching central government, please – that same best-in-the-world force would squash either of these militias like ants – all National Guard units as well as the (never well regulated) at-large militia. You know, the one that all able-bodied males belong to, from ages 18-45.

NRA: Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it!

:UNQUOTE.

As for the words I highlighted above - itself. Ask yourself - this is how Yahoo! rendered them: itsel#$%$rself. I know Yahoo uses symbols such as these (#$%$) as substitutes for profanity. But, as you can see, I wasn't being profane. There was nothing in my post that could be so construed. Though these symbols might be seen as merely irritating, I argue that they disrupt the flow of a poster's arguments. And, since I don't think Yahoo! is incompetent, I'm forced to conclude these substitutions are deliberate.


A Warning

Yahoo, NSA, and any others who act against Buddhists are opening themselves up to karmic retribution. And this applies even if the offending parties don't know their targets are Buddhists. So I urge these offenders to reconsider their actions and to think about the following two examples:

  • The Muslim persecution of Buddhists in India is responsible for the persecution of Muslims by Western nations. The destruction of the great library in Nalanda (see QUOTE below), especially the anti-intellectual sentiment involved, is responsible for the rise of Islamic militants who, through their ignorance of Islamic law (anti-intellectualism fueled by illiteracy), are not only giving more moderate Muslims a bad name but could be responsible for the destruction of Islam itself.
  • The nation of India could find itself in great peril, due to persecution of Buddhists by Hindus. Take a good look at a map of India and its neighbors - it's not too hard to see that India is far from its friends and is surrounded by nations either hostile or indifferent to its fate. Perhaps a resurgence of Buddhism in India might save it from Chinese conspiracies, which would be helped immensely if Buddhism were to experience a resurgence in China.

QUOTE:

[source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nalanda ]

Evidence in literature suggests that in 1193, the Nalanda University was sacked by[13] Bakhtiyar Khilji, a Turk.[14] The Persian historian Minhaj-i-Siraj, in his chronicle the Tabaqat-I-Nasiri, reported that thousands of monks were burned alive and thousands beheaded as Khilji tried his best to uproot Buddhism. The burning of the library continued for several months and "smoke from the burning manuscripts hung for days like a dark pall over the low hills."[15]

:UNQUOTE.


End Comment

I know my warning might sound extreme. But I not only believe in karmic retribution but also in the protection Buddhism extends to its followers. That last is why I have no fear when it comes to publishing my comments under my own name. Of course, I could find myself - in spite of this protection - sharing the fate of those monks who were killed at Nalanda. I am only flesh and blood and am as vulnerable to attack as anyone else.

But there's a difference for Buddhists. Those who offer even the slightest persecution against us will suffer immensely disproportionate pain. And any early termination of a Buddhist's life will serve to expiate mountains of negative karma he'd acquired in past lives, thereby bringing him that much closer to himself becoming a Buddha.

I personally am more than willing to make this trade. As for Yahoo et al: Your call.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Steven Searle, just another member of the Virtual Sangha of the Lotus and
former candidate for US President (in 2008 and 2012)

Contact me at bpa_cinc@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment