Monday, November 5, 2012

Almsgiving by a Cancerian

I titled today's post "Almsgiving by a Cancerian." I doubt there's such a word, but I am the Cancerian being referred to. I define "Cancerian" as "one who currently has cancer." I don't narrow my definition by specifying whether the cancer is being treated or is terminal or is being mentally (or otherwise) fought by the host. My last post shared my discovery of my cancer. Frankly? I felt so sick, I didn't think I would ever write again. But lately I've been feeling better - in fact, well enough to go outside for a half-hour walk yesterday after more than a month of limited mobility more or less confined to the home of a dear friend. [Exception: I did have to go out for chemotherapy, but my legs could barely carry me.]

I'm glad I feel well enough to write today, since sharing my thoughts at some risk to my personal safety is my primary form of almsgiving. And that's one of the core concepts of the Buddhism that I practice. Sometimes I wonder if the writings that I offer are embraced by anybody or if I'm just sending my vibe out into empty space. Sometimes I feel that I don't have anything almsworthy to give. However, I am encouraged by something the Buddha said, in more or less these words: "Don't ever feel you're too poor to offer alms. If nothing else, you can offer a smile to a stranger." Consider what follows to be my "smile" to you.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Here are three brief comments I posted on the internet recently:

ONE:


"The United States is a nation..." No it isn't; it's a union of 50 nations, a fact reflected in its name. If you doubt this, I ask: What part of United States don't you understand? Of course, if we truly wanted to become one nation, a few changes would have to be made including renaming the entity. I suggest simply called it America. Why not? We call ourselves (though inaccurately) Americans anyway.

We have a certain schizophrenia because of trying to simultaneously regard ourselves as one entity and a collection of 50. If we make the transition to America, then we wouldn't have to worry about who's going to pay for natural disasters like Sandy. That is, if disaster strikes one part of America, all of America responds. That's surely better than nonsense like how much of the burden should a "state" bear versus how much for the "feds." Not to mention the economically counterproductive scenario of each state competing for business against its neighbors by offering tax breaks. In that case, you have 50 states trying to knock each other out. Tell me, how does that offer unity?

Steven Searle for US President in 2012
"If we don't start thinking outside the box, we shall surely be buried in one."


TWO:


As I sit in the theater watching this movie ["Lincoln," starring Daniel Day-Lewis], I'll be thinking about something most 2nd amendment fanatics won't: The War of Secession (no such thing as "The Civil War" - God, who comes up with these misnomers?) is the greatest example we have of how the right to bear arms in order to fight tyranny failed us. The South wanted to secede in the name of self-determination, the tyrannical central government said "no, you're to stay unionized against your will," and even though southerns had their guns and fought against that government, they lost.

Lesson? For the militiamen out there hoarding arms to fight the feds when the stuff hits the fan, the result will be exactly the same. So I laugh when I hear about having the right to keep and bear arms will be a check against excessive central government power.

Steven Searle for US President in 2012
"About all that the resistance will be able to do is defend against looters when the Apocalypse comes and then commit suicide just before they're to be led off to a concentration camp. Think I'm kidding?"


THREE:

If you think Mitt Romney's the anti-christ, consider this about Hurricane Sandy being an act of God with one intention: to derail Romney. As a result of Sandy, Obama got to look presidential, the talking heads focused more on this natural disaster at the cost of reducing campaign coverage, and "converted" a powerful detractor (Chris Christie) into a virtual supporter. Of course, Mitt might still win. If indeed he is the anti-Christ, he'll have a few tools in his kit. If Mitt loses (and is the anti-Christ), it will be interesting to see what he does next.

Steven Searle for US President in 2012
"Sandy was called a perfect storm; I'll go along with that for the reasons given above."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

THREE deserves clarification, especially of its last sentence, "Sandy...above." I'm not saying by that that Mitt Romney is the Anti-Christ. However, I do believe him to be a malevolent force who would work against the Enlightenment of the people. I also believe that Superstorm Sandy was sent by something the Japanese call Shoten Zenjin (protective forces or entities) to sabotage Mitt Romney. If Romney should, in spite of this, manage to win this election, be very sure the Shoten Zenjin will be giving him a very rough ride for the next four years.

Someone commented on THREE saying, "I think you're the Anti-Christ. I'm on my way to put a dagger in your heart." Sounds like something a warped gamer would say, though I was hoping he (or someone else) would have said, "Maybe Sandy was sent by the Devil to undermine Romney, who represents decency, morality, and our best chance for effective governance." But...nobody said any such thing.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I'm going to close with something I heard from (I believe) an old James Brown song:

"There was a time,
when I used to dance.
There was a time,
when I used to prance.
I might not do the dance like I used to do.
But you bet your bottom dollar,
I can still get down and holler,
I do the best that I can do."

I like to think I can "still get down and holler."

Best wishes, my friends,

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Steven Searle for US President in 2012
Founder of the Independent Contractors' Party

"In a song about getting old, Highlands by Bob Dylan, there's a line: 'and there's less and less to say.' I'm finding that I have more and more to say as I get older. I hope at least some of it is worthy of your attention."

Contact me at bpa_cinc@yahoo.com [although nobody has ever done so].


No comments:

Post a Comment