Thursday, December 16, 2010

Rabbi Lerner & President Obama

Basically: Rabbi Michael Lerner thinks it’s possible, according to the title of his op-ed piece, to “Save Obama’s presidency by challenging him on the left” – published in The Washington Post on Dec. 4, 2010.

He clarifies in his fourth paragraph: “But there is a real way to save the Obama presidency: by challenging him in the 2012 presidential primaries with a candidate who would unequivocally commit to a well-defined progressive agenda [which Lerner proceeds to well-define] and contrast it with the Obama administration’s policies.”

Lerner concludes by saying, “Public officials [and others] who would make excellent candidates should they run on THIS PLATFORM [my emphasis] include… [then he lists about 20 names]…What’s clear is that we need such a candidate, and the finances to back her or him, very soon.”


“THIS PLATFORM”

Rabbi Lerner is guilty of imposing his personal agenda when he writes, “The basic platform for such a candidate is clear: [then he lists about 10 of these “basics”].

I don’t understand Lerner’s emphasis on “this platform” and “the basic platform.” Sounds like he’s trying to force potential candidates to straightjacket themselves with his personal vision. Not every progressive alternative to Obama would necessarily decide to embrace all of Lerner’s policy points. Especially this one:

“…replace the ‘war on terror’ with a Global Marshall Plan that roots homeland security in a strategy of generosity and concern for the well-being of everyone on the planet.”

To repeat that last bit: “generosity…for the well-being of everyone on the planet.” I can hear the howl from the Right: “And how much is this going to add to the debt we’re already drowning in?”

Instead of burdening a progressive challenger with a detailed set of basics, Lerner should have offered his ideas as merely suggestions for consideration. Micromanagement will not advance the cause, especially in the case of an amendment Lerner is proposing to the US Constitution: The Environmental and Social Responsibility Amendment. As I’d e-mailed to Rabbi Lerner on May 18, 2010: “The ESRA … [is] way too long. At 1527 words, it’s 3.5 times wordier than the 14th Amendment, which is currently the wordiest.”


Just what is Lerner suggesting we do?

Michael Lerner is trying to coax President Obama to become the candidate the progressives thought he was [read: deluded themselves into thinking he was]. How will we accomplish that by backing another candidate during the primaries? Suppose a candidate steps forward or is drafted right now, agreeing with Lerner’s assessment: “What’s clear is that we need such a candidate, and the finances to back her or him, very soon.”

I take it that “very soon” means within the next few months. Waiting until the primary season traditionally opens, after Labor Day 2011, would be too late. For the sake of argument, suppose an attractive, likable candidate steps up to the plate right now. This person will have to expend a lot of time, energy, and personal fortune to attract national attention – especially from a media that likes to play the role of kingmaker, deciding who is “viable” and who isn’t.

Suppose that candidate and his platform excite the progressive base enough to inspire a massive outpouring of financial donations. Then suppose Obama finally “gets it” and says, “I’ll jump on your bandwagon and promote your agenda if your ‘mouthpiece’ drops his primary challenge.”

Then what? Do we tell this candidate that we never really meant to back him, that his purpose was to make Obama see the light?

I think such a candidate would have every right to say, “You used me.”


The real issue at stake is…

…not enough independent legislators.

I wish Rabbi Lerner had, instead, declared war on the Two Party system. I wish he’d have urged massive support for independent candidates. As I’d concluded in my email to him: “We can have real change, but it absolutely cannot come from any candidate who wears the Dem/Pub label. I can only hope the electorate has sobered up enough by now to realize that simple truth.”

On Sept. 27, 2010 I had posted a piece entitled: “A Zero Party system for US politics.” This details how to fight the Dem/Pub monopoly, and opened with these words:

“It’s time to establish a Zero Party system by means of creating a third party which is leaderless and without members – in modern parlance, a ‘virtual party.’”

If interested in my plan of action, read more at:


From that link:  “The two-party system is destroying the USA. And no amount of grassroots activism will prevent this. The Tea party, along with various splinter groups which might arise within the Dem/Pub mainstreams, will ultimately be nothing more than flashes in the pan. To be sure, they can cause ripples. But they won’t cause any lasting structural change or replace either of the two major parties.”


“Show me the money”

Rabbi Lerner is the editor of Tikkun Magazine, which sent out an email on Dec. 6, 2010. Included was this statement:

“…hundreds of emails [were sent] to Lerner, some urging him to run for President (he respectfully declines unless someone comes up with a billion dollars to run that campaign)…”

That’s interesting. Lerner basically says, “Show me the money and then I’ll run.” That’s bass ackwards. In the real world, candidates first declare and then they try to generate interest and encourage donations. I think Lerner himself would be very disappointed if everybody on his list of potential Obama challengers were to also say, “Show me the money and then I’ll run.”

I would like to propose something quite revolutionary. And, of course, present a shameless plug for my own independent candidacy in opposition to Obama. I will not accept any campaign contributions. I will accept support, but that can only be in the form of individuals making personal decisions (without needing my approval) in support of my ideas and candidacy. You’ll never see a commercial with a voiceover saying, “This message is approved by Steven Searle.”

What I’m proposing is a whispering campaign, rooted in the internet. I’m hoping to get people interested in the ideas I’m posting on this blog. I’m hoping they’ll repost these on their blogs, thereby spreading the word. I wish to show, by personal example, that it’s not necessary to (in Lerner’s words) “[come] up with a billion dollars” to run for the presidency.  I hope to win based on the overwhelming logic and necessity of my ideas, rather than by flooding the media with expensive commercials.


Steven Searle for US President in 2012
Founder of The Independent Contractors’ Party

“Why on earth does anyone at this late date think Obama’s going to change his agenda?” – Steve.

No comments:

Post a Comment